Sunday, July 25, 2010

July in Texas

Hello!

Life in Texas is pretty good. I’m liking the hot weather more than I thought I would as it is a nice, dry heat. You know that feeling when you get in your car on a hot day and it’s like an oven? That’s what it’s like a lot of the time here. :) which is good for me, because I always liked that. Not that I want to spend a ton of time in it, or do any sort of physical activity in the heat, but really, it’s nice to pass through and makes for pleasant morning and evening temperatures. I really like going downtown and reading in the evening by the river. My apartment has a pool so I go swimming about every other day. For the Air Force, we get 90 minutes 2-3 times a week for physical training. I like to leave work around 3 and come back to the apartment gym and workout, then be able to jump in the pool and swim some laps. It’s very relaxing. Sometimes as I’m floating around the pool at 4 in the afternoon, in 90+ degree weather under bright blue Texas skies, I can’t help but smile at the crazy turns my life has taken to get me here. That realization seems to be my theme.

Air Force life is okay. I am still waiting to get fully licensed so I can actually see patients. My days are spent meeting people, and getting in-processing stuff done. Like getting fit for my gas mask and body armor. I had no idea how heavy that stuff is! I can’t imagine having to wear it around in the desert all day. Let’s hope the crazy life turns don’t take me there. I really like the sergeants that work with me. They are both great guys and know how to do their jobs well. The poor men get a constant bombardment of questions from me, but they don’t seem to mind. As great as they are (confirmed by pretty much every person I meet in the clinic), I have been warned multiple times to keep an eye on them. With me being their new supervisor, I’ve been told they can be pretty smooth in finding what they can get away with, ie leaving early, taking longer lunches, being on facebook… As you all know, I’m not a disciplinarian, so I’m hoping they won’t put me in the spot where I have to get on their case. I don’t think it will be an issue, but it’s a good warning, I guess. Anyway, I should get my license this week. Then next week I actually have a refractive surgery course in San Antonio. So maybe the week after that I might get to look at an eye. Maybe…

I’m quickly learning the optometry clinic is a little secluded. It’s just the three of us in the office, without much reason or need to go anywhere else in the clinic. Everyone I have met has been nice, but I don’t really interact with anyone regularly. This may make for a lonely existence in the clinic. Good thing there are lots of staff meetings so I can get out and see others!

Outside of work, I wander around in various stores and try to explore new areas. Like I mentioned, I do enjoy the river walk downtown and coming to the coffee shop. The search for a good church continues. The problem with this town is that it isn’t that big, yet there are about a billion churches! So every church I’ve gone to has a pretty small attendance (like 20-40 people). I guess I like bigger churches. Today I actually found one with lots of people! Like a hundred or so. There is one more church I wanted to check out. I need more Sundays in the week. I signed up to volunteer with the Humane Society, which has a very small presence here. I've learned animal rights/protection/care isn't a priority here, but the Humane Society is starting to make a difference. I spent several hours Saturday walking dogs and playing with them. We were at a pet shop for a mobile adoption. Animal lovers are a funny breed of people. :) No, I didn’t come home with any pets of my own… yet.

So I don’t get too bored I am trying to find things to occupy my time. Ideas? I’m working on my guitar skills, hopefully my neighbors can’t hear me. As I told Dustin, I have no rhythm ability, so while I play chords well, actually strumming to a beat seems to be beyond me. I’m working on it though. And I do want to learn Spanish. I was going to go with Rosetta stone, but they are expensive… Maybe I can find a good deal on ebay. I have about 3 books going – Mere Christianity, Nanny Diaries, and a short story collection by Ray Bradbury. I also am looking for good cupcakes and frosting recipes (if you have some, send them my way!). This is a delicious hobby, but not so good for maintaining my waistline, lol. I wouldn't care about it, except that it can’t expand because then my uniform pants don’t fit. I really should have puffed out my stomach when they fit me for those. :)

I still can’t decide if I want to keep blogging… maybe I should be more like Kim, and just give little entries about things I notice. Texas is like another country after all. And since I mentioned her blog, you all should check it out http://kirribillikim.blogspot.com/ (hope you don’t mind that plug for you, Kim).

That’s all I got. Hope everyone is having fun with life!
(Fourth of July pops concert and fireworks... sing the Indiana Jones theme for the fireworks)

3 comments:

  1. I think that blogging will be something that you can do from keeping bored...and it keeps us all entertained!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes...keep blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey!! sorry, i think i got it in my head that when you called the last blog post "the end" that that meant there weren't any more posts coming! i'm back now!! :) and of course you can link to my blog, thanks so much :) i do find that readers appreciate little blog entries (piddly as i feel some of my own to be) and when you post regularly people are more likely to keep coming back. not that my own blog's that popular, but just a few tidbits i've picked up recently to try to help my own traffic!! :)

    and -- hehe those guys you work with sound like they could fit in very well in an australian workplace :) work hard, but then slack off as much as possible :) i've been continually shocked by what other people (and i!) can get away with at work!!

    as for cupcake recipes -- ummm, i find betty crocker has mean chocolate cupcake in a box mix :) she even sells frosting, too!! :)

    and ideas for keeping busy -- (this is my list so it's more geared for stuff i'd like, but maybe it'll springboard something for you) find a barnes and noble, they often have events/writers' groups/etc; join toastmasters; audition for a play or volunteer to be a techie for a community theater; organize games nights; join a writers' group; blog; get really involved at church; christian surfers (hmm a bit hard in texas i guess!); find a Coldstone!! :) of course read and swim and make new friends and hang out a lot :) i also will go to movies and plays by myself just to get out and do things. coffeeshops are decent places to hang out, too. they often have posters up about events happening in town -- gigs and poetry readings and jazz nights and stuff. not that any of those really appeal to me, but, hey, they could be fun. or what about a recreational volleyball league? netball is all the rage in sydney. learn to play bridge (you'd have to take classes -- i went for 6 weeks and never got remotely close to having a good grasp of it). oh, i was meaning to tell you too about the blog "vanishing point" (there's a link from my blog) -- every monday there is a fun quiz you can take!! i just love it :) AND i've had a book review posted there and have several more upcoming (on wednesdays). hooray!!

    okay, i'm sure this is an insanely long comment now, but there you have it!! onwards and upwards!! :)

    love you!!
    kim :)

    ReplyDelete