Sunday, June 20, 2010

First off base adventure = animals!

Although the impending doom of the test and briefing is fast approaching, I went to an animal shelter for community service. It was so fun to be in civilian clothes and talk with new people. We even went out to eat after words at a really good bbq place. One other girl in my flight also went and total we had about 30 people there.




We got to walk a bunch of dogs and run them around in a field. My dog was so sweet! I think we were as excited as the dogs to run around and be free. It was 97 degrees out though, so quickly the dogs and officers realized the temperature and everyone went looking for shade. Dogs panted, people sweated, it was fabulous.






Next up was the cat room! I got to play with kitties for awhile. I held a bunch of cats and played with kittens. Nothing like a room full of lovey, meowing cats to brighten the day!














Then we washed the dogs (about 50 of them). They set up two little pools and we got the dogs in, splashed water on them, shampooed and scrubbed, and then rinsed with a hose. It went pretty fast, with lots of chaos and everyone was drenched with soapy water, dog drool, sweat, and more sweat. We smelled incredible afterwards. Most of the dogs were okay with the bathing, some were pretty skittish though, as would be expected. I was impressed with how well all the dogs were, they were so cute.

After our romp with the animals, the Major with us suggested a yummy restaurant and we all enjoyed the food and relaxed atmosphere. My fellow flightmate and I sat with the Major, who is a fantastic person. She was really nice and talked about life in the Air Force and her experiences.

This ate up about half of my day, so I didn’t actually work on my project at all, which is troubling to me. However, playing with animals and relaxing for half day was well worth it. 13 days to go!


(sorry for weird formatting!)

2 comments:

  1. awwwww those puppies and kitties are cute!! and WOW it sounds hot ... hang in there!! you're almost there!! :)

    lots of love from australia (where it's winter!),
    kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you could have washed cleaveland!!!

    ReplyDelete