Sunday, June 13, 2010

Week Three



(Flight Pic!)


Yay, the end of week 3!! Only two weeks to go, which is fantastic. Next week brings challenges on a timed 5K, second written test, a presentation, and two days of running leadership groups. We got upgraded a ‘class’ level so we also are enjoying some new privileges here. We can now whisper at meals, we don’t have to wear the hydration packs in the hallways, we can go to our cars (no driving them though), and buy snacks at the shoppette. Wooooo. Really, it means a lot to us. :) Oh, and we have base privileges so we can explore the rest of the base, I hear there are some fast food places somewhere.


(just some of us girls (my roomie is on the left))

Monday was our first test (the very first one I took at the end of week 1 didn’t really count). I did pretty well, only missing 2 of the 35 questions. Although our flight commander thought that was still a bad score. Tuesday I got shot. Well, shots… two to be exact. I don’t like needles. They lined us up, took our social security number, then stabbed us with needles as needed and sent us on our way. Wednesday was leadership exercises, similar to before, but we were out in a big field and got ‘rubber duckies’ aka, hard plastic guns. It was about 95 degrees out and 110% humidity, but nice to be outside a classroom. Our flight has a variety of personalities, but a few too many dominating ones. The leadership exercises don’t always go over so well since different people want to be in charge of the situation, which really just makes chaos. You know me, I’m pretty quiet and non-dominating (except to mom, then I’m bossy ;) so I just stand back and watch. However, I am trying to step it up in my own leading. Our flight officer in charge and I are the only captains in the flight (the rest are 2d lieutenants, under us in rank), so the flight commander expects us to be running things. It’s weird stepping up into such a… higher feeling role than I have ever had before. It’s hard for me to be commanding and to have to get on people’s case about things. This comes with the position I’ve chosen in life though. I want to be a good leader/supervisor, as much as I want to be a good optometrist for as long as I am in the Air Force.
Side note for clarification – flight officer in charge is a girl like me, brand new to the military. The flight commander is a hardcore Air Force officer in charge of us.
Thursday I got to be the person walking in front on the flight with the flag. As dad said, I get to be the dork for the day. :) I managed to carry it around all day without dropping it, running into a door way, or stabbing anyone; the tip on those things is deadly! I did take off walking in the opposite direction of my flight once because I was thinking about getting ice cream at dinner. Derrrrr. I mean, that’s not obvious or anything when the flag bearer walks away from the flight.
Friday, we wore our ‘blues’ for the first time: hot, itchy stiff pants with a crispy button up shirt that wrinkles if you look at it wrong, but that you are supposed to keep wrinkle free. Plus the hat… the little wedge that almost falls off. And very shiny shoes. Seeing everyone in their blues was cool, we did look pretty nice as a group, all dressed up compared to the heavy, baggy camo uniform (which is referred to as ABUs). I actually missed that uniform since everyone looks frumpy in it and there’s lots of pockets and room to move. The blues keep you pretty rigid, desperately trying not to get wrinkled or to have your shirt come untucked or to get any scuffs on the shoes. Ahhh the joys of a uniform. Oh, also Friday morning was our final physical fitness test. I improved in all my areas, personal bests for pushup (28!) and the run (1.5 miles in 12 minutes!) Small victories for me. My flight commander’s encouraging words for the morning “your face looked creepy when you ran.” Sigh. Deep down, I know he likes us… at least a little.
Fill in the rest of the week with classes. And eating too much at meals. And no sleep.
Tomorrow I actually get to get off base for a couple hours to do some community service. And wear real clothes. I can’t wait to be done here. Now, I have to go work on a briefing about OPEC and oil production levels.

(pic: my flight at the assault course)

5 comments:

  1. so proud of you Holly and your drive to be a better leader. keep it up! almost done with this little part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the update Holly! Some of the things you say cracks me up- I can mentally picture you saying and doing those things and its really funny! :) As my swim coach would say, "It's all down hill from here" Good luck with your next two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, holly, i knew you'd do great!! :) you're surviving SO much better than i would!! congratulations, i'm so proud of you!!! you're almost there now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmmm... icecream! I can't imagine you being bossy, but you can do anything you put your mind to. Sounds like you are doing good, keep up the good spirits.

    ReplyDelete