Friday, May 21, 2010

Final days at home

Well, the movers came Thursday this week. It was kind of fun to just sit and watch other people haul my stuff around. I watched them move my giant tote of photo albums, which there are a lot of them (not as much as my sister though...). I couldn't help but remember how many times I've dragged that thing around and finally I have someone else doing it. Kind of cool. I felt like I should have been helping, but instead I sat on a log and yawned, signed my name on the line when they were done.

The fact that they loaded my very small apartment sized collection of things onto a semi also made me smile. Fortunately, mom had kindly helped me spend a bunch of my money on a big bedroom set and a kitchen table. So at least there were some bigger furniture items to help fill the truck. I'm really looking forward to getting to base and being able to set up my apartment and unpack all my stuff. Some things I haven't seen for over a year (thanks to the frequent moving required during my clinical rotations), other things, like my new bed, I haven't even been able to use yet. It will be a little like Christmas, but hot... because it will be Texas, and June.

Today I finished packing and have most of the paperwork done that will be required the first few days at COT. I found some really helpful blogs about COT, as well as a facebook group, with loads of info. I kind of wish I would have found these sooner. Sounds like I could have packed a lot more than I did. I remember when my friend, Anne, was leaving for training when she started in the Air Force. Andrea and I were at her house, watching her pack the bare essentials into a duffle bag. So I did the same. Oh well, I'm sure anything I'll need I can get at the store on base.

I'm feeling a bit more excited about starting this adventure now that I kind of know what to expect. Still nervous and sad to leave my family and friends, but definitely more optimistic. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you are more excited about this adventure, I think this will be a great experience for you. I also think you will find a Blue Angel in San Angelo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gonna miss you too! Glad you're being optimistic, it will help you a lot I'm sure. I just hope that you don't love it so much you decide to stay :)

    ReplyDelete